14 Ağustos 2012 Salı

Where did all the eggs go?

To contact us Click HERE
There is something a little disconcerting about raising chickens, but having no idea where they are leaving the eggs. 
 Seriously -- it makes you feel like you forgot to wear underpants under your jeans or something.

So typically, the chicken laid their eggs in their nesting boxes, but for a couple days the chicks had rule of the roost during the day and the chickens weren't allowed in. They rebelled and found their own nesting box, but they didn't feel the need to let me know where it was. I finally came out one afternoon to hear a chicken squawking on top of the compost pile and gasp! -- there were a few eggs.

You would think I would have learned my lesson, but no. I still kept the chicks and chickens separate and the chickens decided to play a little game of hide and seek with the eggs again.


Once again, I heard some culcking and sqauwking -- this time from this clump of grass. I don't know why I didn't look earlier. These are the very grasses that I cut down and line the nesting boxes with each fall. Of course the chickens would gravitate towards them...


Turns out they were good girls - laying eggs all along -- and now I just know where :)


A little muddy, but no worse for wear, the eggs had been perfectly safe all along.   I've solved the mystery of the disappearing chicken eggs and I feel like I have panties on again.  Mission accomplished.


Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder