15 Kasım 2012 Perşembe

IKEA helps my kids do their chores....

To contact us Click HERE

If your children are anything like mine, sometimes a little bit of bribery can help make life a little easier for everyone. Here, here anyone? For the last few months, I've used a simple star chart system, drawing stars on a basic whiteboard. As effective as the system was, it wasn't pretty. So this week I decided to make a prettier system that allows the kids to participate in the chart themselves. The best part? These charts cost under five dollars each!

Supplies:
  • Cork Disks
  • White Spray Paint
  • Cabinet Door or WhiteBoards
  • Chenille Stems (Harvest)
  • Push Pins
  • Buttons
  • Dry Erase Crayons

***All materials provided by Consumer Crafts and Crafts Unleashed

  First things first, you need a whiteboard. I kept my whiteboards cheap by repurposing leftover cabinet doors from IKEA as whiteboards. They are fully erasable and only cost $1-2 in the as-is section of IKEA. You can't beat the price and this particular door is outfitted with a little groove for a pen, crayon or marker.   Now, if your kids are anything like my kids, they tend to pull things off the walls that aren't securely attached. I've learned that we need to directly screw whiteboards, corkboards or chalkboards directly into studs. The only problem now is that I have whiteboards with ugly grey drywall screws through the middle. My solution? Cork! I spray painted cork disks white and simply hot glued the disks to the boards to cover up those screws.     After applying the cork disks, I created stars out of basic chenille stems. I decided to use the 'Harvest' collection of stems for more mild colors that fit in well with our home's decor.   If you need a little help, trace a star on a piece of paper and then bend the chenille stems based on your template. Make sure to really crease the corners to keep the star tight. Secure by twisting.     The stars are attached to the cork via simple pushpins, adorned with basic buttons.  Simply hot glue the button onto the tip of a push pin!     To keep the look consistent with the decor of the room, I opted for dry-erase crayons instead of markers. They write with a matte finish and come in gentler colors. When they come up with a 'Harvest' collection of dry-erase crayons, I am going to be first in line!

I write the chores the children can complete for stars on the left side of the board and then have my oldest son write the chores on the right when he completes them. He is able to practice writing and gains a tactile sense of accomplishment by writing the chores he completed and placing his own stars on the chart.

  Do you think your kids would love a new star chart?  Break out the pipe cleaners and start folding those stars!  


Pin It


Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder