11 Aralık 2012 Salı

Wood, Wax and Aluminum Cake Pan Tiered Display

To contact us Click HERE

I've seen these cake pan towers around and wanted to create one myself, but it seemed everyone had the same idea.  No matter which thrift store I looked in, there were never any old aluminum cake pans.  OK, that isn't true.  There was ONE aluminum cake pan for 50 cents once.  I bought it and it set in my "crafts to do hutch" for a year or so.  (Tell me I am not the only one that has a "crafts-to-do hutch?!?)

Well, anywho, skip forward a year (or two) and I finally (finally!) stumbled upon two more pans for cheap that were perfectly aged (Read: OLD).  They had the right patina, the exact right size and most importantly - the right price tag.  I think they were a quarter each. 


If you look closely, you'll notice the bottom pan is a cheesecake pan or springform pan.   Even better! I love the look of some "hardware" on my craft projects.

To make this project, I didn't want to spend any more money, so I raided the pantry, my craft hutch and some broken down decor pieces. 
Here is how the project was divided up supply wise:

Decor:
Broken Candlesticks (and a knife)
Wood Coins (left over from THIS WOOD COIN PROJECT)

Craft Supplies:
hot glue - gun
pennies

Pantry:
chickpeas
apples
plane grater (an old one!)


These candles were already cracked and/or broken, so it was no loss to cut them up.  These sticks in particular had a cool square shape to them, so I liked them as a contrast to the round pans, chickpeas, apples and wood coins.  Simply cut through the candle with a serrated knife (on a cutting board!)  The little grooves created in the wax will give the hot glue a place to go so the candle can fit flush against the pans.


If your cut is a little uneven or you don't have a serrated knife, use a grater to even out the ends.  Make sure you use an old grater because the wax will dull the surface of the little blades and your Parmesan won't shred as nicely as it used to!


Once the candles are cut and even, apply hot glue to the top and bottom of each stick and wedge them between two tiers. 

For the bottom tier, I could have made another set of candles, but I decided to use some old wood coins I had from last year's garland and ABC letter projects.  I simply stacked the coins with hot glue between each layer.  The stack is then attached to the inside of the bottom pan and the bottom of the middle pan.  My wood pieces weren't exactly even, so the tower tipped a bit.  To fix this, I simply wedged a few pennies under the coins to even things out!

Once the tower was complete and had a chance to fully dry, I grabbed a bag of chickpeas and apples from the pantry to fill out the pans.  The top and bottom pans also got a layer of wood coins as a base. Now I can add cupcakes or produce or whatever random thing strikes my fancy!  Yay for cheap crafts!
Don't wanna wait around for the perfect cheap pans?  Amazon has them fairly cheap HERE!
Don't want to make your own tiered tower?  Etsy has you covered!  Click HERE!
Want to show off your own projects?  Hop into the forum and look for the SHARE YOUR STUFF threads!  Feel free to share any crafts. recipes and DIY projects right HERE!
Pin It

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder