13 Mayıs 2012 Pazar

Pantry Planting Celery - Where does it go???

To contact us Click HERE
By now, you have probably seen a thousand ways to plant celery on pinterest. No? Here are all the posts...basically...you chop off the bottom part of the celery and plant it just slightly under the soil. Easy right? Right.  Of course, what they DON'T tell you is what happens to the celery AFTER you plant it.

That is where I come in...

Welcome to my pantry planting experiment pot -- Welcome to my celery plant.

After you plant the celery "bum", water a bit each day until little leaves start to appear.  They look like these:

After a few weeks, you will have a decent looking celery PLANT instead of just a piece of celery in the ground with a few leaves. At this point, you can harvest the leaves if you choose.  The questions is - what is going on underground?  Is that chunk of celery still there?  Can I dig it up and eat it?  Does celery grow underground?  The answer is no.  The "mother" celery that you planting has rotted and nourished the soil that your new celery plant is growing from.  A small portion of the crown remains and roots have begun to grow.  Wanna see?

  
Now if you want your plant to grow, you probably don't want to uproot it like this.  I'm just being your guinea pig.  ...but now you know!  That hunk of celery has transformed itself into a full fledged celery plant and is about to begin the process of making actual celery. 


NOW if only we liked EATING celery... I think I'll probably stick to pantry planting potatoes...and onions...and my fav...GINGER!




Do you want to stay up on all the happenings at the nest? Join me on FACEBOOK! Want to see what inspires me and motivates me? Join me on PINTEREST! Want to have a delicious Big Mac? Visit your local Micceedees!  (That was not sponsored...just my attempt at being funny...I know I'm not...it is ok...humor me...haha HUMOR me...)


Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder