30 Mayıs 2012 Çarşamba

Yogurt Made in the Slow Cooker

To contact us Click HERE
It took me two years to try this recipe and it was one of the easiest things I've ever made.  I have no idea why making yogurt in the slow cooker seemed so intimidating to me.  Maybe I was afraid to waste 8 cups of milk if it didn't turn out?  What I've come to find, is that it's difficult to mess this recipe up.  It's only 7 steps!
This has worked so well that I'll be making yogurt in the slow cooker forever now. We love to try mixing in new things to flavour the yogurt. Our son loves it with honey, daughter a dash a vanilla, hubby loves it mixed with apple butter, I love it plain with granola on top, a mashed banana in it tastes delicious, your options are endless!
I used regular whole milk to make my yogurt and mixed it with Nancy's Plain Whole Yogurt which has pro-biotic cultures.  Do not use milk that's be Ultra- High Paturized such as most Organic milks :(  According to the comments on Shannon's blog, for lower fat yogurt, you could use fat-free half and half then strain it in a cheese cloth prior to putting it in containers to remove the extra whey.  I will be doing this sometime, as I'd like to make yogurt for my mother-in-law who's on a perscribed low-fat diet and will have a fit if I feed her fats.

The basic steps are ~1) pour 8 cups milk into slow cooker, 2) heat on low for 2.5 hours (u want it to reach 180 degrees)3) turn off slow cooker and cool for 3 hours with lid on, 4) take out 2 cups warm"ish" (or 110 degree) milk and mix with 1/2 cup yogurt,5) pour milk/yogurt mix back into slow cooker and mix well6) cover with towels and leave for 8-12 hours7) refrigerate for 8 hours
CROCKPOT YOGURT recipe is from Nourishing Days  Be sure to read the comments and recipe notes from her blog for more tips.I also recommend to pop over to the Cleaner Plate Club's website and read Ali's hilarious post on yogurt making.
Happily submitted to Frugal Fridays over at Life As Mom and Family Friendly Fridays over at Mommie Cooks!
Enjoy!


from the "Girl Scout Handbook"by Catharine C. Reiley, illustrations by Eleanor Dart and Alison Cummings1955, Girl Scouts of the United States of America

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder